We have an opening for an Industrial Safety Professional (ISP) in the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will provide comprehensive industrial safety support as part of the LLNL industrial safety program within the Worker Safety & Health Functional Area as well as to the ES&H field teams.
- Provide comprehensive industrial safety support to LLNL programs in collaboration with senior staff members.
- Provide comprehensive technical support to evaluate and interpret the impact of industrial safety related rules and regulations promulgated by DOE and other agencies.
- Develop, revise and review industrial safety policy and procedure documents under limited direction of an industrial safety subject matter expert (SME).
- Participate in assessments of the industrial safety program elements as a member in collaboration with the assessment team.
- Participate in the development of training courses in industrial safety and related subject matter areas.
- Lead projects as assigned by the Industrial Safety Section Leader.
- Participate in and support LLNL emergency response activities including drills, exercises, and off-normal events.
- Provide technical support to other organizations within the ES&H Directorate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in occupational safety or related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of OSHA regulations and ANSI Standards, as applicable to the research and development environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in industrial safety subject matter areas such as construction, fall protection, lock out tag out, electrical safety, hoisting and rigging, forklifts, ladders and machine guarding.
- Experience participating in assessments and emergency response activities, as well as in the development of industrial safety-related training courses.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present, explain and communicate moderately complex technical information to all levels of personnel and management.
- Demonstrated analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow-through.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people, including effective interpersonal skills with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact, discretion, and mature judgment.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.