Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Senior Linux Systems Administrator to provide highly advanced technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Computer Systems Support (CSS) Division matrixed to the Global Security (GS) Computer Support Unit (CSU) in the Computation Directorate.
- Manage the operations of the Linux storage environments.
- Perform complex Linux installations, configurations, upgrades and ongoing maintenance activities on bare metal hardware and virtual environments, installation of software releases, patches of the operation system and utilities, third-party products, and open source software.
- Support data and process migration between internal systems, cross platform authentications, and application deployment (e.g., Active Directory and Dell-Quest Authentications Services, Docker).
- Manage Puppet infrastructure, distributing and enforcing standard configurations.
- Implement, support, and maintain multi-platforms, including Splunk, Nagios and other performance/monitoring technologies and utilize tools to monitor and support systems.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of Linux hardware and software and provide guidance to end users for the design of their computing environments and technical areas.
- Implement complex designs produced in collaboration with data scientists and infrastructure architects.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Computer or Engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Significant experience directing complex troubleshooting activities and writing intermediate to advanced shell scripts.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Puppet/Chef or equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 6 and REHL 7, RHN Satellite, PKI authentications, Active Directory, Scripting, GIT, BIND, DNS, Perl, CSH/BASH, Docker and other container technologies.
- Highly advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience serving as a technical lead on projects, achieving positive results, driving projects to closure on time and on budget, and mentoring junior employees in technical areas.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good communication skills, friendly and approachable nature, courtesy and patience, and negotiating and influencing skills in a diverse use community with wide levels of computer literacy.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with staff in a team environment.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with enterprise support tools for management, patching, backup or software distribution, Linux operating systems and computer security concepts and practices, and computer network hardware/software protocols and principles.
- Professional computer certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP, RedHat) or a professional network certification (e.g., CCNA) and experience with security targets/configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Relisted position. Originally listed on 12/29/2016. Previous candidates need not reapply. This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.