Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an IT domain expert, providing advanced diagnostics, system administration, and operational support for our complex IT infrastructure, including Linux servers, Window servers, Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), Oracle RAC databases, Cisco networking, and WebLogic middleware. Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, National Ignition Facility (NIF) is a 24/7 operational facility. This position is in the NIF Computing (NIFC) division within the Computation directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Maintain the technical operation of production application middle-tier servers in multiple environments.
- Design, build, and maintain tools and utilities that improve the operation, automation, and administration of systems, applications, and operational tasks.
- Assist software developers with dynamic application features such as authentication, authorization, auditing, configuration management, or debugging middle-tier applications.
- Monitor system availability and performance using NIF continuous monitoring systems and application specific tools.
- Stay ahead of industry trends, evaluate potential tools/applications, and maintain good vendor relationships.
- Respond to complex system problems and user questions, providing analysis and solutions as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.4 Level
- Solve highly complex problems associated with applications, hardware, software, or networks.
- Provide advanced technical assistance to developers with existing framework or future applications.
- Lead a small middle-tier team and interact with other groups providing technical assistance, mentoring and project planning.
- Serve as a primary technical contact/liaison with vendors for evaluation of new middle-tier applications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in implementing Web Authentication and Authorization systems, including knowledge of LDAP, AD, and single-sign on technologies.
- Significant experience on deployment and problem-solving components and applications in WAR, JAR and EAR formats on Tomcat and WebLogic servers.
- Experience with virtualization environments running on Linux such as Oracle VM, VMware, Xen, or similar technologies.
- Experience with Message Queuing technologies such as ActiveMQ, Oracle Advanced Queuing, and RabbitMQ.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills to craft creative solutions to complex problems in cross-organizational efforts.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information to all levels of personnel.
In Addition at the SES.4 Level
- Substantial experience with Oracle Fusion Middleware or similar technologies/principles (e.g., OAM, OIM, OEM) and how they may be applied in the application infrastructure.
- Substantial experience with continuous monitoring tools such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, Nagios, or Splunk.
- Extensive experience in the operation and management of high availability or complex enterprise-wide system and network solutions.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.